Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My mentor is Fela, returnee UK based artiste reveals




by: Linda Nwaeze
from: Lagos


Anamasere Iriburu Nakpodia aka Buru is a Delta born artist who just returned from the United Kingdom after studying Music Technology. In this exclusive interview with our Lagos Bureau Chief/Online Editor, Linda Nwaeze, the promising artist who has done several collaborative efforts as well as performed with some foreign and indigenous artists spoke on his experience and challenges as an upcoming act.
Excerpt:

Let’s meet you?
My name is Anamasere Iriburu Nakpodia aka Buru, I hail from Delta State, I am an Urhobo. I attended Fountain Nursery and Primary School, Surulere and Mayday College in Lagos after which I went to UK and attended the Hammer Smith & West London College to study Music Technology.

What informed your decision to go into the music industry?
I have always loved music from when I was a kid and I listen to lots of music. Some artists influenced me to go into the music industry.

At what age did you actually venture full time into the industry?
I started singing at a young age because I was in the church choir and I was also in the school choir. My interest in music grew from the age of 14.

You just did a promo on two songs, "Oya" and "No be so", have you released any album before now?
I haven't released any album prior to these singles, but I released a mixed tape in UK. I wanted to drop that first before I bring out the album. But I'm working on the album now and I have two singles.
How many tracks are in the mixed tape you released in the UK?
There were 16 tracks in the mixed tape.

Have you done collaborative efforts with other artiste, if yes, how many?
I have done collaboration with a lot of artists and some upcoming ones. While some of the tracks are out, others are yet to be released. I have done collaboration with artists like BClean and Daddy Fresh. I have performed with MI, Tony Tetula and I did most collabo in UK.

Currently in Nigeria, which artist would you like to do a collabo with?
I like to work with Wande Cole. I look up to a lot of artists, especially those who are talented. As an upcoming artist, I look up to a lot of artists, but my mentor is Fela.

What are the challenges you have encountered so far?
As an upcoming artist, a lot of people don't want to give me the opportunity to do what I love doing. When I started music, I was doing it for the love and I must add that I’m still doing it due to the undying passion I have for it. Another challenge is that a lot of people look down on you, maybe they think you won't make it and stuff like that. I put away such challenges and just try to make them know that there is nothing impossible with God.

On the lighter side, are you single or married?
Right now I’m single.

Do you have any message for upcoming artists?
Yes, whatever they do, they should keep doing it well no matter what people say. They might try to pull you down, most people when they say things like you can't do something, it’s because they themselves cannot do it. So they want to psychologically pull you down. They don't want to see others progressing. So whatever you do, put God first and just keep doing what you do.

Talking of "Oya" and "Here comes Buru", how many states in Nigeria have you done the promo apart from Lagos?
I just came back from UK last month and I am planning ons going to Port Harcourt and Benin as well as Abuja soon. I just started doing it in Lagos.
If you were to choose another profession, what would it be?
I can't see myself doing anything apart from music. I came back to Nigeria to continue with my music under the Burks Entertainment label after I graduated from the university. I heard that in Nigeria, they take music more seriously now compared to before and I am happy to be home.

So what message do you have for your fans?
I thank them for all the support they have given me and they should keep supporting me, I want to inform them that very soon my album would be out.

No comments:

Post a Comment